Home » India Travel Guides » South India Tourist Destinations
South India Tourist Destinations
- Anaimalai is naturally placed in Tamilnadu in the southern part of India. Anaimalai is even known as the Mountain of Elephant and is a mountain range of the Western Ghats. Anaimalai hills are a trekking destination in the Western Ghats.
- Chidambaram is a huge town in cuddalore district of Tamilnadu. Chidambaram is the most historic town and is rich in religion and culture. This place is especially famous for the Chidambaram Temple dedicated to the Lord Nataraja (dancer) form of the Lord Shiva.
- Coonoor provides tourists with a panoramic view of Eastern and Western Ghats along with its ravines, valleys, and waterfalls. Coonoor is located at the top of the Hulikal ravine at a breathtaking altitude of 1,800 m above sea level.
- Hogenakkal Falls are the beautiful water falls which is located in Hogenakkal Village in Dharmapuri District on the borders of Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. Hogenakkal Falls is also called as Marikottayam by the people of Tamilnadu. Hogenakkal Falls is sometimes referred to as the Niagara of India.
- Honnemaradu: in Karnataka is located in the Shimoga district which is about 25 km from Sagar while going towards Jog Falls. Honnemaradu is situated on the picturesque back waters of the Sharavathi River. Honnemaradu is famous for being the home to a wide variety of water sports in Karnataka.
- Hyderabad the hi-tech city is the capital of Andra Pradesh. This cosmopolitan city is also known as Istanbul of India and second Silicon Valley of India. The city nurtures in its heart the love story of a young prince, Muhammad Quli and a village belle, Bhagmati that laid the foundation of the city.
- Kakkabe: is a place holding the esteemed honors of being the largest producer of sweetest honey in South-east Asia, Kakkabe is a charming little village in Karnataka's Western Ghats. Kakkabe is a beautiful hill station lying beneath the silhouette of Tadiyandamol peak, in the midst of densely occupied rain forest and coffee agricultural estate.
- Kanchipuram or Kancheepuram is a magnificent city in the state of Tamilnadu. Kanchipuram is located at a distance of 76 km from Chennai. Kanchipuram is also known worldwide for the famous silk sarees which has made India proud due to its hand woven quality.
- Kanyakumari is a beautiful town in the state of Tamilnadu, India. Kanyakumari is a place blessed with natural beauty like the blue seas on one side with the lush green Western Ghats on the other, and is hence popular with tourists.
- Kodaikanal is situated 410 km from Chennai and 100 km from Dindigul and is one of India's most beautiful hill stations. Kodaikanal is particularly popular for its natural beauty and is known as a romantic destination.
- Kotagiri is a small beautiful town in The Nilgiris District, Tamil Nadu, and India. Kotagiri enjoys a climatic advantage over the other nearby hill stations such as Ooty.
- Kumbakonam is the centre for all the commercial activities in the Tanjore District. Kumbakonam is a mere 293 km from Chennai, which is a metropolitan city and is very well known in South India.
- Mahabalipuram is a beautiful town situated at around 60km from Chennai. Mahabalipuram comes under Kanchipuram district in Tamilnadu. Mahabalipuram is basically a port city and very famous for trade and commerce during the 7th century when it was under the rule of Pallavas.
- Pondicherry is on the east coast about 162 km south of Chennai (Madras) located on the Coromandel Coast of the Bay of Bengal. Pondicherry is the Capital of this Union Territory.
- Port Blair is named for Archibald Blair of the British East India Company, who founded a nearby penal colony in 1789. Port Blair was founded by the British in 1858, the Cellular Jail surviving from this period. Port Blair is also known as "Kala Pani" translated as "Black Waters".
- Puttaparthi is located south-west of Andhra Pradesh, at a distance of 400 Km from Hyderabad. Surrounded by the arid and rocky hills of Karnataka, Puttaparthi is a small village in Ananthapur district. Sathya Sai Baba Mandir is the main reason for Puttaparthi's fame.
- Rajahmundry is a fascinating city of Andhra Pradesh state. The city of Rajahmundry was known up to the 19th century as one of biggest city in South India. Rajahmundry is also one of the Hindu pilgrimage centres.
- Rameswaram is a small town in Ramanathapuram district of Tamilnadu. Rameswaram is separated from India by the Pamban channel and lies at around 40 km from Jaffna Peninsula, Sri Lanka. Rameswaram is also famous for its Temples.
- Srisailam is located in Kurnool district. Srisailam is a holy town situated in Nallamala hills. Srisailam is situated on the banks of the river Krishna which is 232 km south of Hyderabad. . A temple devoted to Lord Mallikarjuna Swamy and Bhramaramba is located here which is very popular.
- Thanjavur also known by its anglicized name Tanjore, and Thanjavur is the Eleventh largest city in Tamilnadu. Thanjavur is located about 10 km south of the Kaveri River.
- Tirunelveli is one of the biggest cities of Tamilnadu. Tirunelveli is semi urban and the district headquarters of the Tirunelveli district. The climate of Tirunelveli is usually hot and humid. Rains are very frequent and mainly focused in the monsoon season between October and December.
- Tirupati: Tirupati is a town at the foothill of the Tirumala. The meaning of Tirupati is "the Lord of Lakshmi," but this applies to the town but not for the hill Venkatadri, the abode of Lord Venkateshwara. Tirupati is the fourth largest city (5 lakh population and 56 kmē area) situated in the Chitoor district of southern Andhra Pradesh.
- Vishakhapatnam: is a coastal, port city in Andhra Pradesh. Visakhapatnam offers a surfeit of tourist attractions that could be the cause of envy by any other location in India. The climate of Visakhapatnam has no appreciable seasonal changes.
- Yelagiri offers spectacular sceneries and rustic villages which still retain their original charm and it being one of the least polluted places makes it an ideal holiday destination.
- Yercaud is a very popular hill station near Salem, Tamil Nadu. At the highest point in Yercaud, at a height of 5326 feet is the Servarayan temple, hence the Yercaud hill area is called Shevaroy Hills. Yercaud Lake, is one of the main attractions in this town.
- Warangal is situated in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. Warangal is located about 145 km northeast of Hyderabad. Thousand Pillar Temple, Warangal Fort, Planetarium and Musical Garden are few attractions of Warangal in Andhra Pradesh.
Please send us your enquiry and we will respond within 24 to 48 hours.